Master in Management
Awarded by North Borneo University College
This is a two-stage innovative programme is offered via the collaboration between Jesselton College and North Borneo University College with mutual recognition of standards and compatibility. It is a value-added programme that confers a dual award to students who have successfully met the programme requirements.
Upon completion of the programme, students will receive a Master in Management from North Borneo University College, with the option of receiving a Master of Business Administration (MBA).
This internationally renowned dual-award Master degree is designed to reflect the evolving nature of business and the global challenges faced by business leaders. It emphasises the development of strategic analytical skills, business intuition, and innovative thinking.
Additionally, students will develop the skills needed to make logical arguments and creative contributions in order to improve business and management practice. This Master degree is also structured to provide a strategic perspective on business and management.
At the end of the strategic business project students should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Critically evaluate research approaches and methods in the context of business and management
- Critically assess the rigour and validity of published research and identify areas for further investigation
- Apply appropriate data-analysis techniques and present findings in a clear and professional manner
- Produce a research project focusing on a business area
- BMPJ 6014 - Managing Business Strategy (4CH)
- BMPJ 6204 - Managerial Accounting (4CH)
- BMPJ 6304 - Financial Management (4CH)
- BMPJ 6404 - Leading an Organisation (4CH)
- BMPJ 6503 - Marketing Management (3CH)
- BMPJ 6603 - Managing Operations (3CH)
- BMPJ 6703 - Managing Human Capital (3CH)
- BMPJ 6803 - Project Management (3CH)
Research Methodology and Project
This is a 12 MQF credit piece of work consisting of Business Research Methods and a major Research Project (10,000 – 12,000 words).
Stage 2 provides an opportunity for students to produce a major project at Master level. It aims to stimulate and develop students’ intellectual interests, allowing them to demonstrate their ability in undertaking relevant and timely business research. The purpose of the project is to come up with new findings and recommendations; students will apply their research knowledge and skills in order to contextualise their findings.
Students must first complete a Business Research Methodology module and submit a Research Proposal. The Research Proposal sets out the area in which they will focus on in the project.
Upon completion of the Research Methodology ad Project, candidates will be able to do the following:
- Evaluate critically the alternative methodologies and research evidence
- Design an appropriate methodology or apply a chosen research style and enquiry method to a substantial field of study or investigation
- Show mastery of a comprehensive body of knowledge, skills and understanding; and to analyse their relationships with conceptual frameworks and practice
- Engage in independent study and systematic enquiry of a substantial topic and to take responsibility for the conclusion drawn from it
The programme is assessed through coursework, assignments and work-based reports. Every month, a new module from the eight core modules starts and by the end of the following month, candidates are required to submit their assignments for that module.
Assessment for the Research Methods and Project is twof old. The submission of the Research and Project carries 70% and the presentation of the Project carries 30% of the total marks.
- Bachelor Degree; or
- Professional qualification equivalent to a degree + 2 years of work experience, or
- Mature candidates with diplomas = 6+ years of relevant work experience with two years of managerial/supervisory time; or
- Mature candidates without diplomas = 8+ years of relevant work experience with three years of managerial/supervisory time